Tuesday marked a very sad day for baseball, and indeed the world, as we said goodbye to the great Yogi Berra. One of the biggest talents to ever wear a Yankees uniform and one of the all-time best catchers in the game, Yogi helped bring the Yankees 10 championships.
His wit was second only to his abilities on the field. So many of his Yogi-isms have become engrain in even today’s culture. His words were often profound whether he intended it or not. You could hear it the first time and dismiss it as nonsense, only to find the wisdom in it later on. So let us look back on some of Yogi’s best quotes as we remember the legend.
- “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
- “If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.”
- “Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical.”
- “All pitchers are liars or crybabies.”
- “You should always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise, they won’t come to yours.”
- “It’s like déjà vu all over again.”
- “You give 100 per cent in the first half of the game, and if that isn’t enough in the second half you give what’s left.”
- “It’s tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”
- “You can observe a lot by watching.”
- “We’re lost but we’re making great time!”
- “It ain’t over ‘til it’s over”